Feb 2, 2009

Web Critique


http://www.cps.edu/Pages/home.aspx
The Chicago Public Schools site is user-friendly and offers various text sizing, which I appreciate. However, I found it a bit dead-ended. I'm not sure if they are in the process of an update, but I found that most links lead to nothing of interest. For example, the section for "I want to help" leads to a dead-end HR site. The design is great, the way each would-be user is set up with several options is excellent. Overall, I would say excellent design and usability, but
lacking content.

http://www.artic.edu/aic/
The newly updated site contains a plethora of content. The site is clear user-friendly, and the design on the new logo is great. The throw-back to the original writing on the outside of the museum shows that even in this move-forward time with the modern-wing, the tradition of the museum is in tact. I like the design of the site with the crisp white backdrop, and the slide show of images on each of the pages is a nice additional touch.


http://www.naea-reston.org
I like the design of the site, the colors are soothing and work well together (I wouldn't expect anything less from a community of artists). In the community section, the student artwork (ArtSonia) is a great show of work, as well as a good way to communicate what educators are working on now. The usability
of the site is good as well, the links are clear and the photos are visually interesting and relevant. I really like the updated site.

2 comments:

  1. your comments on the cps site are well-framed and very valid, but I'd like to know more about your definition of user-friendly and usability. is there one definition for all levels of users? can a site be different things to different people?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bunch of folks have criticized the AIC site for being too bland for a place dedicated to art and creative artists, but I like your assessment that its design is both forward-looking (i.e., in relation to the modern wing) and still drawing on its more traditional roots. The Art Institute has a balancing act to play between old and new, and you've made a good point about the website's need to reflect that!

    ReplyDelete